Teaching Instructions for
“Money Matters—Changing Currency ”
Low Intermediate and up
Time: 40 –60 minutes
· Brainstorm currencies.
· Reading numbers in hundreds, thousands & millions.
· Have Ss used other currencies?
· Elicit substitutions:
“I want to go to the US. I have to convert (change) K. Won to US$.”
“I live in Japan. I want to visit Korea. I have to change yen to won.”
Activity 1 World currencies
Ss can search currencies on world map & look at paper money from last few decades.
· After quick viewing of site, ask Ss to write 3 questions they’d like answered, then find answers and write them down.
· OR T sets questions about currencies.
Activity 2 Converting
· Click on Full Currency Converter.
· Give each S a currency to convert to K. Won.
Write conversions on board as Ss read out.
Activity 3 The Euro
· Give each S a paper with name of a European currency that has been replaced by the Euro.
· Ask Ss to change to won. Message will come up saying:
“You have selected a currency that has been replaced by the Euro”.
· Ss read about the Euro.
· Ask “Which of the European countries aren’t using Euros?”
Activity 4 Precious
Ask Ss which is the most expensive: gold, silver, platinum (baeg-geum). Ss use full currency converter to answer.
Activity 5 Big Mac Price
Explain Australia as example, using just cost of burger columns. “Is a burger more expensive in A or US?”
Ss find out: which country has the cheapest/most expensive burger?
Which country has almost the same price as S Korea? (NZ).
After you have finished this lesson
please email your feedback or report any broken links to: